Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature from The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is all about childhood characters we’d like to revisit in their adult years.
I think it is fair to say that I was a bit obsessed with Meg Cabot as a teenager. I read almost all of her series and owned the majority of her YA books. When she released Royal Wedding last year, I knew I had to revisit the series so that I could have Mia’s teenage years firmly in mind when I went back to read about her as a grownup. Needless to say it was awesome and I want more! So here are characters from my childhood I want to know more about as adults:
- Everyone from Harry Potter—So I know there’s an epilogue at the end of the last book, which gives you a pretty good idea about what happens next. But I want more details. Like Neville’s a professor, but has he found love? What’s a typical day like for Harry and Ginny? What shenanigans do the kids get up to? Do Hermione and Ron still bicker? These are important questions, people!
- Alice from Alice in Wonderland—Does she grow up to be as boring as her sister? Does she still live in her imagination? I want to know.
- Sam from Meg Cabot’s All-American Girl—Where do you go to college after you save the president? Are you destined for some type of diplomatic position or do you pursue your artistic dreams? I don’t think Meg Cabot will be releasing another book, but I’d settle for a short story.
- Mary and Colin from Frances Hodgson Burnett’s The Secret Garden—I want to know how they keep up the garden, who they marry, and how their lives end up.
- Matilda from Roald Dahl’s Matilda—What do you do for a living when you can move things with your mind?
- Margaret from Judy Blume’s Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret—I mean, it seems like she’ll eventually end up a well-adjusted adult, but who can say?
Did I miss any characters from your favorite children’s books? Who would you like to see as an adult?