Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature from The Broke and the Bookish.
This week’s topic is all about character names that you’d incorporate in your own life–whether you’d choose them for a child or a pet or an inanimate object.
Currently I don’t have a pet–Paul didn’t grow up with them and he doesn’t crave a fluffy friend. If we ever adopt a pet in the future, it’s sure to be a cat, so these are fictional character names I’d choose:
- No One (from A Song of Ice and Fire) — because a cat is no one.
- Crookshanks (from Harry Potter) — if it’s good enough for Hermione it’s good enough for me.
- Margarita (from The Master and Margarita) — I just love this name and this book.
- Quentin (from The Magicians) — this name is perhaps too odd to foist on a child (though I really like it), but it’s just right for a cat.
- Nora (from A Doll’s House) — Another great name for a cat. The character, poor Victorian lady, is nicknamed things like sparrow and squirrel by a husband who underestimates her spirit and agency. I think cats can be misleading as well.
- Beatrice or Benedick (from Much Ado About Nothing) — Shakespeare is rife with great names for pets, and this play has tons: Ursula, Don Jon, Hero, and Claudio for instance. But the main characters are my favorite.
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (from Hamlet) — Perfect if you have two cats that are sweet but not quite as knowing as cats usually are. But you need two or it doesn’t work very well.
- Tik-Tok (from The Wizard of Oz books) — I’m not sure a wind up mechanical man says much about a cat, but it’s a fun name.
What character would you name a pet after? Let me know in the comments!
5 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: 10 Characters I’d Name a Pet After”
I like “Bod” which is the shortened name of ‘Nobody’ from Gaiman’s Graveyard Book. I could imagine a dog called Bod.
Oh my god, I love the idea of naming two cats Rosencrantz & Guildenstern 😀 😀 Margarita is a pretty name as well and of course Crookshanks ❤ You'll find some HP characters on my list as well!
Here are the names I chose:
Rosencrantz and Guildenstern would be epic names for a pair of cats! 🙂
Lauren @ Always Me
Oh man! I might steal Tik-Tok, that’s awesome.
There are a lot of cute pet pair (or group) names out there. I like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, though I wonder what you’d actually call them as a nickname… My TTT